WOEIP is a resident-led, environmental justice nonprofit helping West Oaklanders achieve healthy homes, healthy jobs, and healthy neighborhoods for all who live, work, learn and play in our community. We have a twenty-year track record of using participatory research and collaborative problem-solving techniques to drive policy change, community development, and coalition-building in West Oakland and beyond.
As we enter a new phase of growth at WOEIP, we’re seeking an Associate Director of Finance and Operations to oversee the day-to-day functions of the organization, including managing the office and technical infrastructure, financial administration, developing and improving our systems and processes, and supporting human resources. Reporting to co-director Brian Beveridge, the Associate Director of Finance and Operations is the glue that keeps our work functioning, productive, and successful.
Goals and outcomes
- WOEIP’s operational systems and processes are clearly defined, documented, and well communicated.
- All members of the team have access to the operational tools, structures, and documentation they need to do their best work.
- Financial records are thoroughly tracked, maintained, and accurate.
- Financial status is accurately reported at regular intervals to various stakeholders.
- Our co-directors are able to step back from day-to-day operational tasks to focus on our vision, strategic planning, and partner development.
- Operations (40%)
- Process implementation and documentation
- Maintaining our technical infrastructure (e.g. phone, computer, and security systems)
- Team coordination and other support (managing office communications and calendar, etc)
- Facilities and vendor management
- Supporting board operations (light communication and coordination as needed)
- Finance (40%)
- Bookkeeping (managing accounts payable and receivable, balancing books, coordinating with our accounting vendor-partner)
- Reporting (preparing financial and budgeting statements as needed, monthly/quarterly/annual reporting, etc)
- Tax prep support (coordinating with our tax preparation vendor-partner)
- Human resources (20%)
- Supporting hiring and onboarding processes (managing job descriptions, tracking and filing applicant paperwork, onboarding new hires to team systems and processes)
- Supporting staff benefits administration (e.g. coordinating with our vendor-partners, supporting staff enrollment)
A good fit…
- Has at least 5 years experience with managing financial accounts, managing accounts payable and receivable, and financial reporting for small-midsize organizations.
- Cares deeply about every detail and is fiercely committed to accuracy and transparency.
- Understands how to balance big picture project management with the urgency of responsive execution.
- Is committed to learning and applying Environmental Justice principles when working with community members and vendors, administrative staff in multiple levels of government, business representatives, allies, and our team.
- Is extremely proficient in financial and business software, such as Quickbooks, Google and Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel), project management software, Zoom and other video conferencing software, and is comfortable selecting and setting up software and systems to support our work.
Compensation and organizational culture
- This is a full-time exempt position, beginning immediately. Salary range is $60,000-70,000 annually, with flexible PTO, health benefits payment, and access to a 403b retirement plan. This role is primarily on-site (with health precautions in place), with some remote flexibility.
- WOEIP is an equal-opportunity employer. We are a small team that values direct and open communication, power-sharing and leadership development, acknowledging our own and each others’ unique lived experiences and relationships to privilege, and centering the voices of those most impacted by our work. We especially welcome candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of color, LGBTQ+, or other underrepresented or historically marginalized groups, as well as those with connections to West Oakland. If you need accommodation for a disability during the application process, please let us know.
How to apply
Send a letter explaining your interest in the role, along with a resume, to email@example.com. Due to limited capacity, we cannot accept phone calls, personal emails, or walk-ins. We appreciate your understanding.